Blog Archive

Tuesday 15 April 2014

When grass are growing...

(I am overwhelmed and very appreciative as to the interest and support towards us and Juneldè.  Initially this blog started as a means of sharing Juneldè’s story and journey with close family and friends, whom mostly were Afrikaans speaking or at least in a position to read and understand Afrikaans.  During the past 15 months we have gained support from all over the world and at first I advised these cyber friends to utilise the Google translation functionality, however Google it seems are also not that fluent in Afrikaans. With a big thanks to our followers, thus come more blog inscriptions from now on in English.)

Truthfully, for some time now, it has been difficult for me to comment on how exactly Juneldè is progressing.  How do you put into words the intangible perception that she is making great progress?  I realise that I should be able to mention clear facts, I wish I can say she is holding her head up independently for the whole day, or that she is able to sit, or talk.  Less opportunistic at least I should be able to say that she is making baby sounds, or drinking water out of a bottle, or suckling and sucking on a dummy and straw.  However, I cannot. 

With this in mind I was sharing my struggles with Julius a while ago.  Over dinner I exclaimed that it feels like Juneldè is reaching a Plato.  I felt as if we are at a point where she is not taking rapid leaps in her recovery anymore, where I do not have facts to keep the momentum going.  He patiently listened to me and then asked me the following:  “Can one see grass growing?”  I didn’t understand the question or aptness of the reference.  When seeing I’m puzzled, Julius said that even if I were to sit on our patio day and night, focused on our grass, looking at it with keen interest, I will not be able to physically see the grass grow.  However, every week in summer, less in winter, our gardener needs to cut the grass.  Clear indication of it growing…

I started to comprehend his wisdom.  Juneldè’s recovery is like the grass to me.  I give it water, compost and infinite care. Every day it is my focus, something I intently and keenly look upon.  I realised that as the grass-grower, I do not have the opportunity to physically experience the growth.  This doesn’t mean there is no growth. 

Sometimes it is not the exact facts, measurements and statistics that prove growth.  For us it is our newfound peace, Juneldè’s general health and physical stability, and perceiving her newfound awareness every day. As a family we are more and more mobile with her, we more readily accept invitations to get-togethers at friends, not needing to carry the oxygen, saturations monitor and suction machine with us.  We do not anymore need to administer an arsenal of medication according to a strict daily schedule. We have managed to wean Juneldè of to only two chemical medications, not a small feat in light of the 11 we started off with.  The general atmosphere in our home has changed, moving from a stressed, tightly wound climate to where we are now laughing more, enjoying Juneldè’s facial expressions and her personality that is shining through.  We again feel like a mom and dad, not inept care takers and nurses.  Our ‘lil girl is craving our attention, demands cuddles and gives us so much love…
Truthfully then, even though I cannot tell you the exact centimetres of growth, elaborate on the precise shade of green, or the thickness of our “grass”, it doesn’t mean that there is no progression.  It only means that we have entered a much needed phase of newfound stability and calmness…



This is Spirit, a five year old horse that was neglected and abused by previous owners.  She is now rehabilitated and utilised as a therapeutic horse in psycho-therapy.  She has the ability to connect with people and draw out and reflect a child's emotions.  She and Juneldè hit it off immediately...And Spirit cannot help but steal as many as possible kisses from Juneldè.



Juneldè is having sensory fun at Occupational Therapy with shaving cream and a mirror.  She is however not entirely sure if she is enjoying it or not....



No comments:

Post a Comment